‘Open to all’ Gold canoeing programme including all Training, Practice and Assessment Expeditions *No hidden costs*
– This course is confirmed as running.
– The final places have been reduced to £564. The information pack will still say the full price, but if you book after the 14/2/20 then you will only be charged the discounted rate.
Our Gold canoe expedition programme is covered in two expeditions. You will work with our well qualified canoe coaches, and will use only high quality equipment during the expeditions. This way we not only guarantee that you will be fully supported and well trained for the assessment, but also that you look good whilst doing it!
Your Gold DofE Training and Practice will be provided in a 6 day programme. Initially you will start on flat water to gain basic canoe / paddling skills and to cover our safety training programme. This will be followed by 4 days river based training, including a minimum 3 day practice expedition. During the expedition you will become competent in padding a canoe, and will cover all training areas including, river and water safety, camp craft and navigation.
Your Gold DofE Assessment (qualifying) expedition will last 5 days. On the day before the assessment starts you will meet our team, familiarise yourself with our equipment, recap your canoe skills and review your planning. The assessment (qualifying) expedition will start on the second morning when you will meet the assessor who will monitor your expedition progress and sign off your expedition.
For the full detailed course information please download the Course Information Pack from the bottom of this page. 🙂
When is it?
- Training and Practice – 14th to 19th April 2020
- Assessment – 17th to 21st August 2020
Where is it?
- Training at Dolygaer (Merthyr Tydfil) & Practice expedition on the River Wye (England / South Wales boarder)
- Assessment expedition on the River River Severn (England / Mid Wales border)
What is the cost?
- Normally £630 – discounted £564
- Price includes: training, practice and Assessment expeditions, and includes; all campsites, experienced well qualified canoe coaches, assessors, all equipment hire, meet and greet at local train station, and some food during the training phase.
How do I get there?
- You need to make your own way to the course meeting point/accommodation by car or train. Details of the closest train station is provided in the information pack, and we can pick you up there.
What’s the accommodation like?
- 1 x Indoor night during training (included in price)
- Camping (tent hire included in price)
Is food and drink included?
- Some meals during the training phase are provided, please see pack for details.
- You will need to plan and provide your own food for the practice and assessment expeditions, we will help you do this and provide opportunity to visit a shop during training.
Is all equipment hire included?
- All canoeing, camping and cooking equipment is provided.
- Please see the personal equipment list in the information pack for more information.