‘Open to all’ Gold canoeing programme including all Training, Practice and Assessment Expeditions *No hidden costs*
Our Gold canoe expedition programme is covered in two expeditions. You will work with our well qualified canoe coaches, and will use only high quality equipment during the expeditions. This way we not only guarantee that you will be fully supported and well trained for the assessment, but also that you look good whilst doing it!
Your Gold DofE Training and Practice will be provided in a 6 day programme. Initially you will start on flat water to gain basic canoe / paddling skills and to cover our safety training programme. This will be followed by 4 days river based training, including a minimum 3 day practice expedition. During the expedition you will become competent in padding a canoe, and will cover all training areas including, river and water safety, camp craft and navigation.
Your Gold DofE Assessment (qualifying) expedition will last 5 days. On the day before the assessment starts you will meet our team, familiarise yourself with our equipment, recap your canoe skills and review your planning. The assessment (qualifying) expedition will start on the second morning when you will meet the assessor who will monitor your expedition progress and sign off your expedition.
For the full detailed course information please download the Course Information Pack from the bottom of this page. 🙂
When is it?
- Training and Practice – 17th to 22nd April 2019
- Assessment – 24th to 28th August 2019
Where is it?
- Training at Dolygaer (Merthyr Tydfil) and Practice expedition on the River Severn – On the England / Wales boarder –
- Assessment expedition on the River Wye – On the England / South Wales boarder – Starting from Newcourt Farm, Felindre, Three Cocks, Brecon, Powys, LD3 0SS
What is the cost?
- Price includes: training, practice and Assessment expeditions, and includes; all campsites, experienced well qualified canoe coaches, assessors, all equipment hire, meet and greet at local train station, and food during training phase.
- You need to make your own way to the course meeting point/accommodation by car or train. Details of the closest train station is provided in the information pack, and we can pick you up there.
- Two nights indoor accommodation modern bunkhouse and..
- Camping (tent hire included in price)
- Some meals during the training phase is provided, please see pack for details.
- You will need to plan and provide your own food for the practice and assessment expeditions, we will help you do this and provide opportunity to visit a shop during training.
- All canoeing and camping equipment is provided.
- Please see the personal equipment list in the information pack for more information.